Join us for a presentation with Tax Clinic expert, Dr John McLaren followed by a Q&A.
- Dr John McLaren
Do I need to lodge a tax return and how?
Many of us need to lodge a tax return. If this is something you are unsure about, or don't know how to do, this seminar is for you.
Register beforehand with your tax questions and have them answered.
Some questions you might be asking yourself –
- Why do I need a Tax File Number (TFN)?
- What is an employee declaration form and how do I fill it out?
- Do I have to pay income tax if I am only an international student?
- Do I have to pay tax on money sent to me by my family?
- When do I need an Australian Business Number (ABN)?
- What is ‘myGov’ and how do I use it?
- If I am an international student do I have to pay the Medicare levy?
- If I am an international student am I eligible for the tax-free threshold of $18,200?
- What if I have more than one job and I work under my ABN as well?
- What tax deductions am I able to claim and do I need to worry about deductions?
- What information do I need to have when I complete my tax return?
- When do I have to lodge my tax return?
Dr John McLaren is a senior lecturer in taxation at the Tasmanian School of Business and Economics within the discipline of Accounting.
John has had many years’ experience as a Barrister and Solicitor in private practice in Australia prior to becoming an academic. He held a senior management positions with the ANZ Bank Limited in their Tax-Effective Finance area involved with investments by the bank in leveraged leases. He also worked as an accountant and financial planner with an accounting and financial planning practice in Melbourne. Prior to joining RMIT in 2003 as a tenured lecturer, he was engaged in taxation consulting in his own Company for medium to large corporations and high net worth individuals. He is the co-author of several texts in taxation law, law of investments, cyber law, and commercial law.