Academy Gallery Exhibition
An opportunity to celebrate regional achievements in the South and our partnerships with the local community.
The Philosophy Café is a regular opportunity for members of the Launceston community to meet and discuss, in some depth, a philosophical topic.
Hear from the joint winners of the 2018 Royal Society of Tasmania Doctoral Thesis Award.
- Dr Jack Mulder
- Dr Feng Pan
An expert panel discusses the future of the frozen continent in the first of two forums commemorating 60 years of the Antarctic Treaty.
- Dr Tony Press, Director, Australian Antarctic Division 1998-2008
- Dr Julia Jabour, Institute for Marine & Antarctic Studies
- Dr Andrew Jackson, Institute for Marine & Antarctic Studies
- Moderated by Professor Rufus Black, Vice-Chancellor, University of Tasmania
An Australian Institute of Physics Public Lecture on quantum technology.
- Professor David Jamieson, University of Melbourne
The University of Tasmania introduces a new monthly series of documentaries commemorating the big anniversaries of 2019.
- Dr Elizabeth Freeman, Senior Lecturer, European History
- Dr Toby Juliff, Lecturer, School of Creative Arts
- Dr Yvette Watt, Head of Studio, Painting
The Breath of Fresh Air (BOFA) Film Festival is in Hobart for the first time with 10 great independent films, several post film Q&As
How Artificial Intelligence will affect our schools, from a rock star of the digital revolution.
- Professor Toby Walsh, University of New South Wales
Find out how the Australian Family Court has contributed to a million more women accessing the family courts for Muslim citizens in Indonesia.
- Cate Sumner, Director of Law & Development Partners
A public forum with tourism crisis recovery expert Dr Gabby Walters.
- Dr Gabby Walters, Griffith University
An interactive seminar event to introduce Japanese language and customs.
- Akiko Osawa-sensei, University of Tasmania
- Katsuhiko Suganuma-sensei, University of Tasmania
The Academy Gallery is delighted to exhibit Lost in a Forest which showcase the talents of the artisans based at Burnie’s Makers’ Workshop.
A discussion with Nani Zulminarni, the founder and director of the largest female heads of household organisation in Indonesia, PeKKA.
- Nani Zulminarni
An introduction to the development of the PEKKA women’s empowerment organisation and its work in 20 provinces across Indonesia.
- Nani Zulminarni
How Australia-EU relations will fare in the era of Brexit.
- His Excellency Dr Michael Pulch, Ambassador and Head of Delegation of the European Union
Join an expert panel for the Hobart launch of the China Story Yearbook: Power.
- Jane Golley, Director, Australian Centre on China in the World, ANU & Co-editor, China Story Yearbook: Power
- Mark Harrison, Senior Lecturer (Chinese Studies), University of Tasmania
- Ben Hillman, Director, Policy and Governance Program, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU
- Linda Jaivin, Cultural Commentator & Co-editor, China Story Yearbook: Power
This lecture will explore the methods used to date rock art in the Kimberley Region of NW Australia
- Professor Andrew Gleadow
Arts Forum is a public program of the School of Creative Arts and Media.
The Royal Society of Tasmania - 2019 Launceston Lecture Series
- Professor Barry Brook
What does equitable and quality Tasmanian education look like in an uncertain future?
- Professor Sue Kilpatrick, Faculty of Education
- Melody West, Researcher, Peter Underwood Centre
- Lu McGinniss, Teacher, Department of Education